Thursday, August 22, 2013

August 21, 2013

Pais queridas,
 
Holy cow that's a lot of emails from just you!  I had to skim a lot because I'm pretty much out of time but it's still so great to hear everyone's doing well and about Myles' baptism!!  It seriously strengthens me so much and makes me that much more eager to go out and change lives!! 
 
We went to Campinas again today and it was finally nice outside.  Still haven't seen the new video and I REALLY want to!  I don't know if you could tell, but last Wednesday was the start of a cold, sick week for our district.  I'm just happy to see the sun and I'm happy the virus our new missionaries from Provo brought with them is almost gone from everyone.  I was in my room with a fever for one day but really it just was amazing to see how much everyone took care of me.  Everyone was making sure I was covered with medicine, tissues, VICS everything.  Sister Degn brought blankets to our room which was really sweet.  She is so cool.  One of our Brasilian roommates Sister DeOliveira let me borrow two of her sweaters and she is just so cute and nice.  They left this week.  The other one Sister Gomes actually hid from her companion one day and decided she wants to go home which was so sad for her and she made Sister de Oliveira feel like it was her fault... that definitely isn't what most Brasilians are like though.  They are so friendly and loving.  One thing I can definitely understand especially when talking to old people are words like "pequenha" and "bebe" and "muito joven!" and "quanto anos voce tem??" yeah pretty much the usual..
 
A few funny things about Brasilians.  Our main cultural difference I've found is that Halls to us means cough drops and its candy to them.  Like its packaged as candy and has the same ingredients.  According to Irmao Ramalho the ones that are like 100 percent menthol are the best kind.  It's so funny how obsessed people are with them!  Brasilians kept asking for them when everyone was sick.  It's their candy haha.
 
Cheddar cheese does not mean the same thing here as in America.  We got Hamburgers last P Day and first of all, you can't have it with everything, its either cheese OR mayo OR bacon OR lettuce etc.. so I got cheddar cheese which is some kind of bright orange paste.  Super fun times.
 
I can't believe I haven't said anything about music!  Our district happens to be a mini MoTab choir.  Elder Wood and Sister Sperry were in All State Choir with me and I didn't know!!  It's small enough here to really have lots of chances to sing.  Sister Steadman is a music major so we have many musical numbers at our devotionals.  Sister Sperry, Sister Christoffersen (she wrote off her boyfriend) and I sang "I Come To Him" last night.  Everyone has to sing in the choir.  We always practice right before we sing.  It's kind of funny how the Hispanics can't sing.. Brasilians are always making fun of the Hispanics.  Like every time we hear people being really loud its like "It's those Hispanics again..." and it's okay to say that here haha.
 
We sang "Because I Have Been Given Much" with this added verse:
 
"Because of Thy life's mission, Lord, I too will serve.  I'll leave the comfort of my home and teach Thy word.
I'll seek Thy sheep who've gone astray and those who've never known the way.
I will make Thy work my work today"
 
I am still amazed at how much I've been learning here.  I don't know how people become converted without serving missions!!  I have learned more about my Savior and have felt closer to Him here than I have in my whole life.  He was the perfect missionary, and He knows the way.
 
 
Seus Pequena Menina Moca,
 
Sister Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment